Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Elect Martin's Tree at Ikea

Election day is finally here. I'm nervous. I wanted to vote for McCain in 2000 (I also would have voted for Colin Powell, had he run), but I'm honestly about frightened about where the country would go if he were elected today. Does he really think that Bush's tax cuts for the rich (which he previously opposed) create jobs for those lower down on the food chain? It seems to me that he sold his soul for this nomination, and if he wins then we can really usher in the new age of robber barons.

Results won't start to be broadcast until 1 am my time, so I'm going to keep busy by going to dinner with friends and then we're off to see the live show from Found magazine (http://foundmagazine.com/events). So excited - I first heard about Found via This American Life, the über-addictive radio program (http://thislife.org).

After the show, I'm going to camp out on the sofa in front of CNN and possibly BBC. (They are the only two English-language channels, and BBC shares a channel so it's only on in the wee hours. Trust me, I'd much prefer a different news broadcast over CNN drivel. I wonder if one of the German broadcasters is going to do live coverage?)

Funny aside
Martin just called. He's been picked to decorate a Christmas tree at Ikea to compete for a giant box of Christmas decorations. We entered the sweepstakes at the store... and they picked him (although we didn't know it involved audience participation - we just thought they'd call and tell us to pick up the crap).

He goes on Thursday morning to decorate - wish him luck. Although... as we were filling out the sweepstakes cards, we did ask ourselves (out loud, too) if we need/want all of that stuff. The answer was no, but we filled out the cards anyway. If he wins, we'll either have the most craptacular decorations understated Hamburg has ever seen, or we'll spend hours uploading photos to eBay. I'm thinking craptacular.

No comments: